yesterday we had our follow-up appointment after 2 years. My daughter is now 6 years and a half.
The situation is fairly unchanged.
In March 2013 we noticed an increase in the length difference between the 2nd digits (the normal and the macrodactyly one; from 0.5 to 1 cm) as compared to the previous measurement of 2011; in February 2014 a new increase (0.5 cm) but in both digits (so this is good news) and no changes since then. We changed shoe size since February and this means that this was due to the other parts of the foot (and NOT the macrodactyly toes) having grown. The 3rd digit is unchanged since 2011.
Given the above situation and the fact the we still use shoes with the same size, the doctor suggested that we should continue with the observation strategy. If nothing changes to the worst, he is going to see her at 9 (according to the doctor this is an important stage in female growth).
As far as surgery is concerned, he said that this will have to be done at some time but he hopes we can delay it as much as possible.
By the way, my daughter doesn’t want to hear about surgery yet. She says she is satisfied with her big toes as they are, and does not want “to cut” them…. I think she will change her mind as she grows up…. time will tell. In the meanwhile we can only wait and try to gather as much information as we can.